TWO-WAY DUAL LANGUAGE
IMMERSION PROGRAM 90:10 MODEL
The Two-Way Immersion 90:10 model starts in Kindergarten and delivers 90 percent of the instruction in Spanish. In this model, students take all content-area subjects in Spanish and the related arts (Art, Music and P.E.) in English.
English speakers study Language Arts, Math and specials in English and Science and Social studies in Spanish.
The goal is to develop native language proficiency in early grades with gradual introduction of second language in early stages.
• In the 90:10 model, 90 percent of the instructional day is provided in the partner language in Kindergarten and Grade 1, and 10 percent is provided in English, and then gradually transitions to a 50:50 balance of instruction between the two languages over the course of several years.
Instructional Time and Setting
• Students are distributed 50% English dominant and 50% target language dominant in Grades K-12.
• At the secondary level, some courses are taught in the target language.
• This program also integrates native English speakers and speakers of the target language in order to provide instruction in both languages to all students together.
• Each group of students acquires language and content-area knowledge in their own language, as well as in the partner language.
Benefits of the Program
• The program is most effective when started at the elementary level and continued through Grade 5.
• Each group of students acquire language and content-area knowledge in their own language, as well as in the partner language.