HERITAGE OR NATIVE LANGUAGE PROGRAMS
This model is tailored to address the needs of heritage language learners.
The goal of this program is for students to regain their heritage language, in addition to becoming bilingual and biliterate (with English).
This program is designed for heritage language students in elementary and secondary grades.
• This is a language development programs designed or tailored to address the needs of heritage language learners.
• This program, in some instances, seeks to revive indigenous languages as well.
Instructional Time and Setting
• Students can be in a course for 50 or 90 minute blocks per day, every day of the week.
• A course can last a semester or a full year, depending on the individual school goals.
• Students in the program have a family background or a cultural connection to the language they are studying.
Benefits of the Program
• It provides heritage speakers the opportunity to develop skills in the heritage language.
• Students receive linguistic and academic development support in English and the dominant language.